Stereo & Immersive Media — 2015 International Conference aims to bring together researchers, artists and archivists working on visual media renowned for their stereoscopic and/or immersive features. Stereo and immersive media environments provide an expanded field for photographic media since the 19th century.
The recent revival of interest in stereo and immersive technologies has set an opportunity to research its historical roots and also the present-day challenges to visual culture.
Stereo & Immersive Media — 2015 International Conference will present in its opening plenary session the final results of the research project Stereo Visual Culture dedicated to the first national study of stereo photography in Portugal.
The conference venue, the National Archive of Torre do Tombo, will host the exhibition ‘The Third Image — Stereoscopic Photography in Portugal and the Desire for 3D’, presenting the main authors, themes and compositions from 31 stereo collections of 9 national Portuguese archives and museums.
- Maria Teresa Cruz
- Specialist in Media Aesthetics, Media Art Theory and Cultural Techniques.
- Oliver Grau
- Specialist in Immersive Media. Author of Virtual Art: From Illusion to Immersion.
- Denis Pellerin
- Specialist in Stereo Photography and author of La Photographie Stéréoscopique sous le Seconde Empire and Diableries. Stereoscopic Adventures in Hell.
- Emília Tavares
- New Media and Photography Curator at the National Museum of Contemporary Art- Museu do Chiado, Lisbon, researcher and art critic.
- Thomas Weynants (cancelled)
- Specialist in Early & Popular Visual Media. Author of the website ‘Early Visual Media Archaeology.’
Free attendance. No registration required. Early arrival is advised.